- Cool and Quiet
Significant design advances in WD's hard drive technology, combine optimized AV performance with best-in-class power consumption and thermally optimized operation enabling unparalleled cost of ownership for manufacturers of digital video recording devices.
WD hard drives have helped enable the digital content revolution since we first began shipping to Microsoft® Xbox in 2001. Today WD is a leading manufacturer of consumer electronics storage. Our drives can be found in a multitude of digital video recording products including personal video recorders (PVRs), digital video recorders (DVRs), set-top boxes (STBs) as well as surveillance video recording applications. We understand the unique requirements of this specialized storage-enabled market and our drives deliver the characteristics CE manufacturers seek most.
- Long-Term Reliability - With a MTBF of 1 million hours, these drives are designed to last in high temperature always-on streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVR/DVR, DVR recorders and surveillance video recorders.
- Quiet - Noise levels have been minimized to less than one sone* - virtually below the threshold of human hearing.
- Low Power Consumption - WD AV drives deliver best-in-class low power consumption for reduced system power requirements and increased reliability.
Note: 3.3V SATA power is not available in this product.
- Compatible - Tested for compatibility in a broad range of AV products including set top boxes, DVD recorders, and mainstream surveillance systems.
- SilkStream™ - Optimized for smooth, continuous digital video playback of up to twelve simultaneous HD streams**. SilkStream is compatible with the ATA streaming command set so CE customers can use standard streaming management and error recovery options.
- IntelliSeek™ - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration.
- Ramp Load - Parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear, and improved non-operational shock tolerance.
- Preemptive Wear Leveling (PWL) - The drive arm frequently sweeps across the disk to reduce uneven wear on the drive surface common to audio video streaming applications.
* A sone is a subjective unit of loudness as perceived by a person with normal hearing.
** Assumes Host Transfer Block size of 2 MB per stream.